About Ashton Park

A map of Ashton Park, drawn up by Shelley Signs of Shrewsbury for the Friends of Ashton Park.

Ashton Park is an attractive late Victorian park situated close to West Kirby town centre and is bisected by the Wirral Way (the old West Kirby – Hooton railway line) which separates the Upper and Lower Parks and provides a link between the two parts of the park.

The park is open every day and is a well-used facility with an estimated 10,000 visitors of all ages every week.

Around half our visitors come from outside West Kirby, attracted by the range of facilities and the attractiveness of the park.

The park was built between 1899 and 1902 through the goodwill of the two landowners who owned the land on which it was built: Miss Emma Mary Ashton and St Bridget’s Church, whose Rector at the time was Canon Blencowe, who each leased the land to the Urban District Council of Hoylake and West Kirby.

The Lower Park opened to the public in Autumn 1901 and the Upper Park was laid out in 1902. The park has been further developed over the years with the addition of bowling greens, tennis courts and an island in the lake.

After Miss Ashton’s death in 1935, her land was sold into public ownership with the local council by her Executors. The rest of the park land is still owned by the Church of England (Diocese of Chester).

The park is owned and maintained by Wirral Council in partnership with the Friends of Ashton Park.

Facilities

  • Children’s playground
  • Multi-use games area
  • 2 bowling greens and pavilions with 2 bowling clubs
  • Hard surface tennis courts
  • Junior grass football pitch
  • Junior orienteering course
  • Boules pitch
  • Rose garden
  • Cherry avenue
  • Extensive shrubberies
  • Range of tree species
  • Lake with island, fountain and water birds (also hosting a Model Boat Club)
  • Formal and informal gardens
  • Park Lodge (private residence)
  • Victorian park gates
  • Teashop and toilets (limited opening times)
  • Community notice boards
  • Interpretation boards (park history)
  • Tree trail
  • Planet trail
  • Footpath links to the Wirral Way: a 12 mile walking and cycling route with separate horse riding route

Accessibility

  • At grade entrances from the Wirral Way and all surrounding streets
  • Main entrance on the corner of Church Road and Westbourne Road
  • Other entrances on Church Road, Carpenters Lane and Westbourne Road
  • Good pedestrian, cycling and wheelchair access
  • Accessible link between Upper and Lower Parks crossing the Wirral Way at the south end of the park.
  • Accessible toilet